Monday, February 6, 2012

Book review: The School of Essential Ingredients

One of the things that really makes my heart beat is reading. Seriously? Reading is like breathing for me. I have to read every day, or I get ugly. I remember before T was born people told me it would be a long time before I was able to finish a book again. Ha! I make time to read every day. Maybe at the expense of the cleanliness of our house, but whatever. I have my priorities. That said, people are always asking me for book suggestions and I hate telling other people what to read. I love talking about books, but I would rather do it in an, "I really loved this book and here's why" kind of way than in a, "you really should read this" way, if that makes sense. So periodically I will share book reviews here - hopefully you'll find something you love!

The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister
A beautiful novel tinged with magic realism, The School Of Essential Ingredients tells the story of nine different individuals (don't worry, it's easy to keep them straight!). Eight students gather at chef Lillian's restaurant on Monday nights for a very special cooking school. As they learn about the magic of food prepared with love, they also learn about themselves (and we learn about the somewhat mysterious Lillian). I have recommended it to several friends, and they all said it was one of their favorite books of 2010 (and I have given up hope that my copy will ever find its way back to me). The School of Essential Ingredients is Bauermeister's first published novel, and it left me hungry for more.

1 comment: